Sunday, May 17, 2009

Worth the Price of Lessons

Mikey has been wanting to learn how to play piano for, well, ever. I tried teaching him myself to save money, since his bi-weekly Tae Kwan Do lessons are far from free. But, seeing as how I myself don't know how to play piano (or read music), we didn't get very far. A couple months ago I finally broke down and signed him up for lessons with a real teacher.

Long story short, Mikey loves piano lessons. And he's taken to it like a fish to water. Saturday morning, he informed Chad & I that he had written a song for piano. We were running around trying to get ready for a ward service project, so we didn't pay much attention to the statement. Honestly, kids write "songs" for the piano all the time. They usually involve pounding two discordant keys repetitively until your eardrums feel like they are going to burst. Mikey was persistent though. He insisted that he did, in fact, write a real song for the piano. He told Chad that he would write it down for him.

At this point my interest was piqued. I watched him take out a piece of white paper, draw a music staff, and fill it with notes. It looked like a real song, but what do I know? Not much, as previously established.

Chad looked at it, carried it over to the piano, sat down, and played it. And it was a real song. Amazing. My boy is a freakin' genius.

Within seconds of discovering our child's ability to write beautiful songs, Mikey had taken Chad's spot at the piano and started playing his song himself. Chad picked up his guitar and improvised along with him. And this was the result...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo Mikey! We always knew you were a prodigy! We love you, Grandma

Stephanie said...

WOW. That's all I can say! How neat!

Mel said...

That's amazing! You must be such a proud mom. I would die if one of my kids did that. Seriously, Mikey is such a thinker, I'm not even that surprised he's a piano prodigy! :)

Susan P. said...

How fun! Music is such a joy.

Unknown said...

Is that terrific or what??? Mikey, how GREAT to share your pleasant and refreshing creation with all of us!! It sounded so good I want to hear more!!! Play on!!!!!
BRAVO!! BRAVO!! Take a bow, Mikey!!!!
Love Grandma Trittipo and Grandpa Lance

jack!e @ One Saturday Morning said...

WOW!! Holy smokes you've got a genius child!! That's so awesome, way to go Mikey!