Monday, February 4, 2008

Zoo Day!


Today I went to the Woodland Park Zoo with the kids. I love the zoo. It is just amazing all the different creatures you see there. Today we met a female orangutan named Melodee that is fascinated by women's jewelry. All the regulars remove their mittens when they walk past her enclosure and hold their rings up to the glass. Melodee sits right up against the wall and inspects each piece of jewelry as it is presented to her. The zoo keeper said she also likes purses, lipstick and compacts. We saw an eagle's nest. Did you know that their nests are 6 feet across in diameter? They're huge. We heard a tiger growl. The sound shook my chest and gave me a nervous knot in my stomach despite my sure knowledge that the tiger was safely enclosed on the other side of the park. It was a new sound. A powerful sound. A sound I wasn't accustomed to. I think that is why I love the zoo so much. It makes me feel small and insignificant to be in the midst of so many incredible creations. Huge animals that dwarf me. Animals that are completely foreign to me, that I wouldn't believe existed if I hadn't seen them with my own two eyes. It reminds me that the world is large and my little life is such a small percentage of what is out there to experience. And it humbles me to know that all this was created for us. We weren't given just enough to survive—a few cows, a couple fish, some trees and wheat. We have so much to experience and take in. So much that was made solely to bring beauty and diversification to our lives. And that is what I'm feeling especially grateful for today.

No comments: