Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Cocoa Butter PSA


So, I am now 5 1/2 months pregnant and have officially hit the stage where people constantly ask me if I am using lotion to avoid the dreaded stretch mark. I wasn't very good about this with my previous pregnancies, so I decided to give it a shot this time around. I've been told that cocoa butter is the smear of choice for most and it seemed like a good, natural solution. Determined to do right, I headed over to Walmart and picked up a jar of good, quality Palmer's Cocoa Butter. Then I covered the better part of my torso twice daily.

Oh how I wish this were the end of my story!!! But, sadly, it isn't. You see, two days ago I started itching. And by itching, I meant it felt like a zillion fire ants were devouring the skin between my head and my waist. The agony! What to do, you ask? Apply more cocoa butter! Surely cocoa butter must be the answer!!! But, despite my religious application of the beloved butter, one day ago I woke up still itching with the intensity of a hundred angry devils AND covered in a delightful red rash. Ugh!

I quickly hopped on google to see what I could possibly be suffering from. Surely it must be some sort of liver disease or crazy pregnancy ailment. It couldn't be that I was ALLERGIC TO THAT STINKIN' COCOA BUTTER!!! One trip to Dr. Jolly and two vials of blood samples later, it turns out that is most likely what it was. Once again I asked google what it thought. Turns out there are forums full of women who have also been betrayed by this ugly lotion. It'll take about a week for my rash to clear up and in the meantime I shall be covered in calamine lotion and ice packs. All the same, soon I'll be back to my normal self. But "Palmer's" shall forever remain a very bad word in this household.

*Much sympathy goes out to my poor, patient husband who is most lovingly putting up with a very tired, very pregnant, very itchy & therefore very irritated wife. He is a perfect man!

5 comments:

The comstocks said...

Well the good thing is it will get better, I am one of those unlucky people that had a weird pregnancy itchy disease and chances are it will happen again in my last trimester. Being itchy when you are pregnant is not fun!!

Mel said...

How awful! I hope it goes away quickly. Rashes are the worst and anything like that when you're pregnant is just plain wrong.

Jessica Lynn Perkins said...

That stinks! I'm glad you found the culprit! I heard that if you didn't get stretch marks from other pregnancies then you aren't prone to them and so you probably won't get them. I don't know, pregnancy stuff is all 'I heard this and that type stuff'

Stephanie said...

Nobody should ever have anything like that happen to their expanding pregnant belly! I agree with Melanie, it's just plain wrong! It's not bad enough that pregnancy sometimes makes everything itch, but to have an allergic reaction on top of it?? I'm SO sorry!!! Hopefully it will feel better soon. :o(

Jocelyn said...

How Horrible! And how incredibly ironic :) Don't worry about stretch marks...my doctor always said that there is really nothing you can do about them if you are prone get them....oh well. I am sure you will be lucky this time around too :)