Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I Think I Need A Nap








Man. Some days are just such a whirl wind. It's great, but it feels like there is no time to breathe. This morning I got up early, fed the kids breakfast and put dinner in the crockpot. Then the dog got sick, so I steamed the carpets in the front room. Then I got ready, got the kids ready, packed lunches and got in the car so that I could get Mikey to school by 9:00 am. From 9-11:00, I prepped for my history class (I teach a class at Russell Ridge with 14 kindergarten through third graders. Most are boys. It's a lot of energy!). I taught my class from 11-12, ate lunch, rushed Mikey off to his last class, then sat in the library and played a board game with Natty. At 1:30 I packed up my car with my kids and three of their friends for our weekly play date. All six of us went to the park. It was so much fun! Within an hour we had visited three different parks in our neighborhood (each has it's own "cool" equipment). I helped a slew of children across the monkey bars, played a Knight (who saved the mermaid, in case you were wondering what a knight at the park does), fixed a boo boo and caught several children as they jumped from the jungle gym. At five o'clock our friends went home and I fed the family dinner. The dog got sick again. This time both the dog and the floor required some serious cleaning. At 6:15, we left for swimming lessons. Chad was doing a live speech for some convention in Australia (via teleconference) from 7-8pm. Since he needed it to be quiet, we went to McDonald's after swim lessons for dessert. Natty told a man in McDonald's that, "it is very, very bad food at Hamburger Meal (her name for any fast food restaurant serving burgers), but we can eat it when mommy needs us to be quiet." Great. That declaration is sure to win me Mother of the Year, right? Finally, at 8:15 I tucked the children into their snug little beds and sat down for what felt like the first time since 7 am this morning. Don't get me wrong. I loved today. Every busy second of it. I had so much fun with my kids and their friends. I wouldn't want to do anything else. But, I think I need a nap...

3 comments:

MerriLynn said...

I think you need a whole 8 HOURS of sleep! That is one fun filled, packed day. If your reading this tonight after I posted it, DON'T! Just GO TO BED!!!

Stephanie said...

I don't know how you do it! I think you're a great mom! I especially love that you had your camera to document every minute of it! It's so fun to see the process of the day. Natty's so funny. Kids always surprise us with those oh-so-observant comments when you least expect them. Do you keep a journal of their sayings? My sister sent me a little one to keep in my diaper bag. I wish our lives were in more similar places because I would hang out with you and your kids all the time!

Michaelynn said...

That really was a packed day! I hope you had a good night sleep the night before (and after)! I feel like the last two months have been sort of crazy like that for me, but its my own fault. I stay up too late reading all the time and then I'm exhausted even if our day is light. And Natty's comments are hilarious! Isn't it fun to hang out with them?