Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mardi Gras!





Mardi Gras is a week from today & I am sooooo sad that we won't be there for it! Chad served 9 months of his mission in New Orleans and the rest in surrounding areas. He's taken me back three times. I love it there. It is my second favorite place in the world (right behind Seattle, of course). Seattle and New Orleans actually have a lot in common. They are both green & lush, they are both full of music and art and culture, and they both breed really friendly, passionate people.

Anyway, Mardi Gras gets a totally bad rap. The world thinks it is an opportunity to get drunk and naked. Not even! There is one little street where all that crappy stuff happens & the only people that go there are tourists. New Orleans natives know that Mardi Gras is a family event. The parades are soooo fun! There are tons of really cool floats, people in costumes, great music, and Flambeaux guys. Everyone in the neighborhood comes out to celebrate & the floats throw cute trinkets to the kids. Last time we were there the kids got little footballs, stuffed animals, cups, and of course, beads. Lots and lots of bead necklaces. Not exactly the Mardi Gras you see on tv, right? Seriously though, if New Orleans was really all sin city, do you think Disneyland would have a whole corner of the park dedicated to it? I don't think so. There's no Vegas-land in the park.

Long story short, I miss New Orleans and am throwing a mini fit that I can't be there this year. If you need me next Tuesday, you can find me curled up on my couch eating homemade king cake, covered in piles of plastic beads, listening to Professor Longhair and throwing things at my kids. (like they do from the floats. Not like a child abuser).

1 comment:

jjstringham said...

I just got a chuckle out of imagining you lounging on your couch with dozens of beaded necklaces around your neck while throwing things at your kids every time they walk in the room (somewhere in the middle of the float fun/child abuse continuum). :-)