Thursday, February 12, 2009

Silly Bella!

Okay, can I vent for a minute? I just finished reading the second book in the Twilight series & Bella is driving me nuts!!! Seriously. I finished the book yesterday before dinner and I've been fussing over it since then. I even made Chad listen to me rant about it. Now, I've only just finished New Moon, so maybe the next two books explain why Bella is such an idiot. As far as I know Bella turns into an unicorn in the next novel and moves into a cabin next door to Puff the Magic Dragon. If that's the case, please just laugh at my ignorance. Please don't tell me what happens next. I am frustrated with Bella, but I have to admit I'm hooked on the series. I ordered the next book on Amazon yesterday and had them ship it 2 day mail so that I can have it by tomorrow. Pathetic, right? Along the same vein, if you haven't read the first two books yet & plan on doing so, don't read any further in this blog. I will ruin it for you.

Now on to the source of all my frustration: Why is Bella such a dork? She should totally ditch the bloodsucker and date Jacob. Maybe I'm reading the books too much as an english student & not enough as a hopeless romantic, but it just seems that there are five million reasons why Jacob is the right choice. And here are just a few:
1.) Edward is hard and cold to the touch. She constantly describes him as stone. Jacob is warm & welcoming. I realize they can't control their temperatures, but it seems to be symbolic of their personalities.
2.) Edward constantly tells Bella that he's no good for her. When she's with Edward she doesn't get along with her family or friends. Jacob, on the contrary, is good for her. He helps Bella snap out of her massive depression. She gets along better with friends and family when he's with her.
3.) Edward is all drama. Jacob is just happy & fun. He makes her feel happy and peaceful.
4.) Edward can't figure out what Bella is thinking even though it's supposedly one of his supernatural powers. Jacob can read her like an open book without the benefit of any vampire mojo.
5.) Edward is like five zillion years older than her. Seriously. When I was in the singles' ward, pre-missionary dudes were so young & immature. And so I'm supposed to believe that this guy who has had several lifetimes to grow & mature has the hots for a high school kid. Give me a break. That doesn't sound like a creepy old man to anyone else? At least Jacob and Bella were born in the same century.

And while I'm on my soap box anyway, can I just point out that Bella wouldn't have had any of this drama if she'd just been living the church's dating standards? She is way too young to be in such a serious relationship. And talking marriage? Uh uh. She is so not ready for that. If she were living the dating standards, her and Edward would just be friends. Which means she wouldn't have been hanging out at the Cullen's house often enough to incite Laurant & Victoria. Which means the treaty wouldn't have ever been broken & Jacob wouldn't have been transformed in a werewolf. I'm just saying, she could've saved everyone a lot of trouble if she had kept things on a more friendly level. She would've made it through high school in one piece, grown up, married Mike, had a half dozen kids and wondered why she ever had a crush on a solemn emo kid like Edward.

Whew. I feel so much better now. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Go team Jacob!!!

8 comments:

jjstringham said...

Yay! Another one for Team Jacob!! Just to warn you - the end of the third book will have you in tears.

And you may not want to let Crystal read this post. :-)

Michaelynn said...

Heather, Heather. Did you seriously say that she would have married MIKE? MIKE? Ugh. No way. I did get totally frustrated with Bella myself, but then I remembered what it was like when I was in high school and my parents fell in love with this super nice guy in our ward and totally wanted me to date him rather than all the other dudes I wanted to date. I think it cripples the romance when dad pushes a boy your way, the way Charlie does with Jacob. Also, I think it is supposed to be like opposites attract and all that. Edward is strong and unstoppable, Bella is weak and fragile. You know what I mean.

But I am with you in the sense that I, too, love Jacob. He's so human and we get to see so much of that from him. I did find myself really rooting for Edward in my heart of hearts, though. And especially after I read the chapters she posted of "Midnight Sun" on her website. So fun!

Keep venting! I love hearing your thoughts!

Jessica Lynn Perkins said...

Neeeerrrrrrds!!! =)

Yeah, this coming from a girl who named her son after a character from Star Wars=)

Ashley said...

I was annoyed by the first two books but thought the last two were a lot better. You do make valid points. But just keep reading and then I want to hear your thoughts when you're done.

Mel said...

Just wait for the fourth book! I really enjoyed it but it also drove me a little crazy. Edward is truly such a drama queen and that bugged me, but it was also endearing because I like reading characters who aren't perfect (how boring would that be?)

I finally realized somewhere along the way that while the characters themselves are realistic, the situations are totally not. I think in real life, as Bella wants to turn into a vampire so desperately, no one would ever, ever in a million years honestly agree with that or recommend it. But in this fantasy world, it works somehow.

I never went totally one way with Edward or Jacob. I like them both for different reasons. I like Edward for Bella in these stories, but in real life I'd root for Jacob any day!

Stephanie said...

Oh man, that is too funny! I love it! I'm so hopelessly romantic I just loved it regardless! Wait until you get to book 4 - it gets better!

Crystal Lynn said...

What? WHAT??? You are TEAM Jacob???
You make a very convincing argument... except that Edward and Bella are MEANT to be together!!!Them and no one else. Am I the only one who sees this?
Ok well if you dont want to buy all the books you can def borrow my copies, just give me a call!
I love reading what you think about it all, let us all know what you think about Eclipse. Its my fav out of all 4.

Jana said...

I had the same thoughts on Jacob vs. Edward. It wasn't until finishing the very last book and especially "Midnight Sun" online that I started to appreciate Edward more. But Mike? No way!
P.S. Glad you guys saw the silver lining at Disneyland. We'd take rainy and no lines over scorching and crowded any day!